October is Adopt-A-Dog Month! Although we celebrate adoption all year round, why not make this month extra special with a list of one dozen top reasons to adopt a dog (or two or three!)
Top 12 Reasons to Adopt-A-Dog:
1. Save lives! Adopting one shelter pet can make room for another pet to be saved
2. End pet homelessness
3. Save a lot of money
4. Most pets are fully vaccinated before leaving the shelter or rescue
(saving you vet costs)
5. Most pets are altered (spayed or neutered) before leaving the shelter or rescue
(saving you another vet visit)
6. Receive companionship and unconditional love
7. Be more active
8. Gain a sense of responsibility
9. Reap the benefits of your tax dollars
Most animal shelters are government agencies funded by the public
10. Most pets have experienced some sort of training
For example: simple commands, house/potty trained, leash trained, crate trained, or more
11. Most pets get microchipped before leaving the shelter or rescue
(saving your wallet from an additional hit)
12. More and more pets are becoming automatically pre-registered on Finding Rover!!
Where can I adopt a dog?!
- - A visit to your local animal shelter is a great place to start. If you do a web search to find a shelter near you, and you're not having much luck, try other key words like "animal services," "animal control," or "animal care." These government agencies are the first responders when animal-welfare issues arise in your community. The majority of their funding comes from your tax dollars.
- - Rescue organizations! These groups pull pets from the shelters in your area and care for them until a forever home is found. If your heart is set on a certain breed, there are NUMEROUS breed-specific rescues in most major cities. Rescues care for pets of all ages, so you know you can find a pet that will fit your lifestyle.
- - Right on Finding Rover, you can view adoptable dogs in your area from local shelters and rescues! See all the dogs listed in real time on the Finding Rover “Nearby” tab. If you want your shelter or rescue to show their adoptable dogs on Finding Rover please email Partners@FindignRover.com. It’s FREE!
Can't adopt? Consider fostering a pet! Rescue groups are often dependent on foster pet-parents to temporarily house homeless pets. Plus, it's FREE. In most cases, foster pet-parents are supported by the rescue's funds, so all you have to do is provide a safe, loving, nurturing home to a pet in need.
Did you adopt your dog?! We want to hear your story! Post here or on the Finding Rover pack "Rescue Stories"