The day has arrived - June 20, 2014! Bring your dog to work day has been going on for years now, but luckily many workplaces have embraced it as a daily practice. Over the years, more and more research has surfaced showing that dogs are capable of boosting moral, increasing job satisfaction, and reducing stress levels in the work place. Here at Finding Rover, we couldn't agree more!
In 2012, researchers at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) studied employees at a retail business in Greensboro, North Carolina with quite amazing results. The researchers measured the employees stress levels by testing the hormones in the workers' saliva. When dogs were present in the workplace, the employees' stress hormones were dramatically less.
Now we know dogs give us the "feel goods" in the office, but how do we make sure they feel comfortable? Here's our list of how to make Rover work in the work place:
- Clear it with The Boss and Landlord first!
- Leash Law: we don't want Rover getting away from you when you're not looking.
- Bring 2 bowls for his/her food and water to be tucked under your desk.
- Bring the dog's bed or blanket so he/she can relax while you're punching the keys. There are't many things worse than sitting on builder-grade carpet all day!
- Poo-bags and potty breaks are a must. When you take a break, take Rover outside, too.
- Be aware and listen to your dog's needs. If he/she is getting fussy, it may be time for a quick trip outside.
- Lastly, enjoy your day! Rover curled up on your lap or at your feet can bring inspiration, relaxation, and productivity- so let it flow!
VCU Source: http://www.news.vcu.edu/article/Benefits_of_Taking_Fido_to_Work_May_Not_Be_Far_Fetched