Austin Animal Center is leading Texas in reuniting lost dogs with owners by using facial recognition for pets.
For weeks, Finding Rover and Austin Animal Center have be troubleshooting and perfecting this new integration.
As of December 4th, the people in and around Austin will be able to check the shelter for their lost dog and search adoptable dogs right from their phone or computer in real time!
Finding Rover will enable the shelter to communicate with the public quickly and more direct.
When a pet enters the Austin Animal Center system as a stray, he/she will also enter the Finding Rover system automatically- making that pet searchable to Finding Rover users.
Users can "follow" the Austin Animal Center 'Pack' right on their phone or computer. Austin Animal Center's adoptable pets will be showcased on Finding Rover in real time!
To officiate the integration and answer any questions, Finding Rover and Austin Animal Center will be hosting a launch party on Thursday, December 4th, at 3pm at the Austin Animal Center 7201 Levander Loop location. The first 200 attendees will receive goody bags, and Nulo pet food company will also be donating 5,000 pounds of dog food at this event.
What is Finding Rover?
Finding Rover features a lost and found dog notification system that sends a push notification and social feed photo alert to users within a 10 mile radius. When a user spots a lost dog, he/she can take a photo either within the app, or upload a photo from a device’s photo album. When a dog has been found and identified through Finding Rover’s facial recognition software, the finder will receive information on how to notify the owner.
Key benefits of using Finding Rover include:
- Simple to register: Registration is easy through Facebook and email – all you need is a picture of your dog and a zip code.
- Easy to use: Anyone with a mobile phone can take a photo of a lost dog, which will be instantly posted on Finding Rover.
- Technologically advanced: Finding Rover spent two years with The University of Utah research and development (R&D) department creating its proprietary facial recognition technology. Finding Rover has the only technology that instantly recognizes a dog on the spot.
- Social: Finding Rover unites dog owners based on common interests and provides a forum for users to read up on the latest dog news, share content and interact.
- Free! Finding Rover is free to download.